NOTE: The directory is a paid add-on to your regular Metro Publisher service. If you do not have this add-on activated, these options will not appear within your Metro Publisher work site. More information on its features and how to add a Directory to your site can be found here: What is the Directory?
With Metro Publisher release v3.0, the Directory has been upgraded to the improved functionality of "Listings-only" Location Searches.
When setting up or managing your Directories there are four main features to know about.
- Listings – To create a Listing, you first create a Location Page for an advertiser, then you enable the Directory Listing extras for that same page.
- Directory Searches – You now have the option to create multiple "Listings-only" Location Searches as your Directory, instead of the previous single Directory Search.
- Search Groups – Search Groups allow your users to toggle between various Location/Directory Search Pages.
- Overview Page – The Directory Overview Page includes top level information about your Directory.
Individual Directory Listings are managed from within Locations on the Location Edit Page (Editor > Locations > Locations). To create a Listing, you first create a Location Page for an advertiser, then you enable the Directory Listing extras for that same page.
To change a Location into a Directory Listing, you simply need to check the box on the upper right of the Location Edit Page entitled "Directory Listing." By checking the box, this Listing will automatically appear in the Directory Search, based on whatever Category includes this business' Location Tag.
2. Listings-only Searches
You now have the option to create multiple "Listings-only" Location Searches as your Directory, instead of the previous single Directory Search. You do that by creating a Location Search and checking the option to show "Directory Listings Only."
Locations Searches allow you to create map-based searches of specific Locations Types from your database. For example, you may want provide your readers with a way to search bars and restaurants. If you are a free publication, you may want to create a Location Search that displays all of the places or businesses that carry your magazine. With Location Searches, you can do this.
- Sponsored Listings appear at the top and/or on the right rail on the Locations and/or "Listings-only" Search Pages. This must be configured by you when you set up your Listings-only Searches.
3. Search Groups
Search Groups allow your users to toggle between various search pages. A Search Group is displayed as a dropdown menu on your "Listing-only" and Location Search Pages.
- Behaves like a single search, but sends users to individual Search Pages
- Analytics – individual Search Pages can be found in analytics reports
- More focused SEO around specific searches
4. Directory Overview Page
The Directory Overview Page includes top level information about your directory.
As of Metro Publisher v3.0 (September 2015), there is no separate Admin setting page for the Directory (previously located in Admin > Settings > Directory). Instead all configurations are made in the Locations section of your work site while logged as an Editor. Under the locations section, you will see a tab labeled "Directory."
The Directory Overview Page provides a top level view of your Listings and Searches. It includes links to the Edit Pages for each.