NOTE: The directory is a paid add-on to your regular Metro Publisher service at a flat monthly fee of $100 USD. You can opt in by following the instructions here.
If you do not have this add-on activated, these options will not appear within your Metro Publisher work site. More information on its features and how to add a Directory to your site can be found here: Business Directory Add-On.
We provide tips on featuring advertisers with the Directory Add-On here.
With Metro Publisher release v3.0, the Directory has been upgraded to the improved functionality of "Listings-only" Location Searches.
When setting up or managing your Directories there are four main features to know about.
- Listings – To create a Listing, you first create a Location Page for an advertiser, then you enable the Directory Listing extras for that same page.
- Directory Searches – You now have the option to create multiple "Listings-only" Location Searches as your Directory, instead of the previous single Directory Search.
- Search Groups – Search Groups allow your users to toggle between various Location/Directory Search Pages.
- Overview Page – The Directory Overview Page includes top level information about your Directory.
Individual Directory Listings are managed from within Locations on the Location Edit Page (Editor > Locations > Locations). To create a Listing, you first create a Location Page for an advertiser, then you enable the Directory Listing extras for that same page.
To change a Location into a Directory Listing, you simply need to check the box on the upper right of the Location Edit Page entitled "Directory Listing." By checking the box, this Listing will automatically appear in the Directory Search, based on whatever Category includes this business' Location Tag.
2. Listings-only Searches
You now have the option to create multiple "Listings-only" Location Searches as your Directory, instead of the previous single Directory Search. You do that by creating a Location Search and checking the option to show "Directory Listings Only."
Locations Searches allow you to create map-based searches of specific Locations Types from your database. For example, you may want provide your readers with a way to search bars and restaurants.
If you are a free publication, you may want to create a Location Search that displays all of the places or businesses that carry your magazine. With Location Searches, you can do this.
Sponsored Listings appear at the top and/or on the right rail on the Locations and/or "Listings-only" Search Pages. This must be configured by you when you set up your Listings-only Searches.
NOTE: It is not possible to choose a specific display order manually on location searches.
Directories are location searches (with extra features), so they function in the same manner.
The display order works like this:
- Directory listings are not displayed ahead of non-sponsored listings unless you choose up to 5 to display at the top or on the right.
- If you have a location search with mixed businesses, so paying and non-paying, they will be displayed by last modified or alphabetical (if you direct-link to alphabetical) or as a pre-filtered search on first load of the page, depending on what you set. How to create those links is described here: Linking to Location Searches
- Once the readers filter themselves using the categories/tags you set on searches with more than one tag, the list will reduce, but it will still be in the order you chose. Sponsored listings would only appear at the top if you modified them last.
If you'd like to highlight specific listings, there are Sprockets you could use, or you could create a Location Roundup, which gives you the flexibility to order the locations as you wish: Roundups (Locations / Events / Content)
3. Search Groups
Search Groups allow your users to toggle between various search pages. A Search Group is displayed as a dropdown menu on your "Listing-only" and Location Search Pages.
- Behaves like a single search, but sends users to individual Search Pages
- Analytics – individual Search Pages can be found in analytics reports
- More focused SEO around specific searches
4. Directory Overview Page
The Directory Overview Page includes top level information about your directory.
As of Metro Publisher v3.0 (September 2015), there is no separate Admin setting page for the Directory (previously located in Admin > Settings > Directory). Instead all configurations are made in the Locations section of your work site while logged as an Editor. Under the locations section, you will see a tab labeled "Directory."
The Directory Overview Page provides a top level view of your Listings and Searches. It includes links to the Edit Pages for each.