NOTE: Quick Links and Map Zones are soon-to-be deprecated features. In order to add filterable options to your location searches for such things as regions or neighborhoods, use categories and tags.
Quick links are groupings of Map Zones. By adding quick links to your location search, you provide a quick way for your visitors to start browsing locations in the Map Zones you provide them.
To set up Quick Links, such as a list of neighborhoods, you need to set up Map Zones. Once you have set up these Map Zones you can then add them to the Quick Links as items that the site visitor can select from the Quick Links pulldown menu.
There are two types of Map Zones
Custom Map Zone:
- Click on Map Zones
- Click on "Custom Map Zone."
- Give your new Map Zone a name.
- Move the map to the desired area and adjust the zoom as tight to the edges of your zone as you can. For example, if your Map Zone is a familiar neighborhood, set the zoom level to display the entire neighborhood so that no part of it goes off the screen.
Thanks to Geonames project and it's Database we have now integrated in Metro Publisher, we can search through already defined geographical areas and add them through Preset Map Zones.
To search and add Preset Map Zones:
- In Map Zones, click on "Add Preset Map Zones."
- Select a Category of Map Zone, if you're a city magazine, you'd probably select Neighborhood.
- Set the Country, State, City information by clicking "Change" to adjust (if you have default location set, it will be displayed here).
- if searching for Neighborhoods, set Country, State and City
- if searching for Cities, just set Country and State
- Enter a keyword to limit results.
- Click "Search."
- Any results will display with a map preview.
- Check off as many Map Zones as desired.
- Click "Add Map Zones" to add all the selected Map Zones.
Here is a brief example of how locations search, quick links and Map Zones work together.
Let's say you're about to create a Restaurant Directory for San Francisco.
You already set up Map Zones for each San Francisco neighborhood, like the Mission District, SOMA, North Beach, and Haight/Ashbury.
The next thing to do is create a quick link called "Neighborhoods" and add all the 4 neighborhoods to it.
When you go to add your location search, your new Quick Link "Neighborhoods" will show up as an option.
Making a Quick Link
- Go to Locations, click on "Other Options" from the bottom navigation bar and choose "Quick Links."
- Click on "Add a Quick Link"
- Name your quick link
- Click on "Add Map Zone(s)"
- Select all desired Map Zones by clicking each corresponding row
- Click "Select Map Zone(s)" when you've selected all the zones your want
- Click "Save Changes" to complete your new quick link
NOTE: For Quick Links to appear on Location and/or Event Searches you MUST check the 'Limit Search to Map' box at the bottom of your Search editing page in Admin.