Progressive Web Apps (PWA) allow websites to leverage modern web capabilities to deliver an app-like experience to users on mobile devices. As search engines look for PWAs on websites for mobile, turning on this feature will improve your SEO.
- Most importantly, the various speed improvements significantly raise the mobile scoring for your site which impacts your SEO.
- Your users can continue to read previously downloaded content offline
- Website can be "bookmarked" to readers' home screen like an app
In speed tests using Metro Publisher's standard themes, we registered consistent scores in the top 90% in all key areas measured by Google's Lighthouse developer tool.
As a result, it is important for website owners to be selective about which and how many third party services are put into use. There is always a trade-off between the benefits of such services and the effects on performance.
Lighthouse analytics results for standard Metro Publisher theme.
How to activate PWA
1. Upgrade your website to Use SSL
This feature requires that your site is secure. Luckily, in Metro Publisher it is easy to set up SSL. It takes only a few seconds and it's free! To do that, the account owner should follow the instructions here:
2. Opt in to PWA
Log in to your Metro Publisher work site as an Admin:
- Go to Settings
- Then to Beta Features
- Check the option for Progressive Web Apps
3. Add PWA version of your logo to your site
While still logged in as an Admin:
- Go to Design
- Then click on the pencil icon in the header
- Add two square versions of your logo – 192x192 pixels and one at 512x512 pixels. These will be used by various mobile devices when a user saves your website to their home screen.
NOTE: PWA does NOT support .svg files.