Metro Publisher makes extensive use of Google Maps on Locations, Events, Reviews, and Roundups.If you do not want to use Google Maps, don't have to do anything.
If you would like to have maps display with these features, it is important that you set up your Google Maps API account and retrieve the API Key before launch of your website.
It takes just a few minutes.
Get Your API Key
- Log in to your Metro Publisher work site as an Admin and go to Settings > 3rd Party.
- On the 3rd Party overview page, select "All" from the dropdown on the upper left.
- Then, find and select "Google Maps API Key."
- On the right side click the link that says "Register and get the key."
- You will then be taken to the Google Maps API page. Click the button at the top right of the page labeled "Get started."
- Once you have finished setting up your account, copy your Google Maps API key and return to the 3rd Party area of your Metro Publisher work site.
On the Google Maps API page in Metro Publisher you have these two fields:
- Google API Key: Paste the API key into the field pictured above.
- Use dynamic maps: If you plan to use dynamic maps with multiple map points for Event Searches, Location Searches, and Location Roundups
NOTE: The API key as utilized for your features in Metro Publisher is generally free* but Google requires a credit card to set up your account. To use dynamic maps (with multiple map points) for Event Searches, Location Searches, and Location Roundups you will need to check the option to "Use dynamic maps." While generally free, on high traffic sites using dynamic maps with multiple map points may incur costs under certain circumstances.
Please visit Google's support document for an explanation of the recent changes: Google Maps Guide for Existing Users
*Metro Publisher currently utilizes Google's "dynamic" maps on Location Roundups, Location and Event Searches, and Location Pages. This is free up to 40,000 calls per month according to Google at the time of this posting (November 2018). If you use this feature and have high traffic volume, you may incur additional charges. Please refer to Google's documentation for pricing.
Please note that Metro Publisher cannot be held responsible for changes in Google's pricing. Be sure to monitor your charges in your Google Console and stay up-to-date with any changes to their documentation.