The 404 page is the default page your readers will be brought to any time they erroneously type in an address on your site or if a page has been moved or is no longer valid.
The default message looks like this:
If you would like to have a customized 404 message, use Pages to create one.
- Log in as an editor and click on "Pages" from the main navigation.
- Then at the bottom of the page select "Add" from the menu.
- On the subsequent screen, select either "Template HTML" or "Freeform HTML."
- Add the title.
Note: this title will display at the top of the page you create. Name it something like "Page Not Found" or whatever you think is informative to your users.
- Name the new page simply "404"
NOTE: DO NOT add an extension such as "html."
- DO NOT assign it to a section or subsection.
- Add whatever HTML code you think is more informative than the default 404 message.
- Remember to "Save."
That's it. Wait a few minutes for your new page to clear the cache.