Web push notifications are another way to communicate directly with your readers. OneSignal is a nice alternative to Roost. Our OneSignal supports both HTTP and HTTPS implementations. If you are using a mixed protocol of HTTP & HTTPS, you should use HTTP for your implementation.
Here's how to set up push notifications on your Metro Publisher using our integration.
- Login to your OneSignal dashboard.
- Add a New App, here are the highlights of the process
- Give it a name
- Select Website Push for Platform
- Pick Safari or Firefox/Chrome (you can configure the other after)
- Provide Site Name and Site URL
**make sure to include the http:// or https:// as this is key information for the configuration
- Select Website Push for your Target SDK
- On the following screen, copy the App ID, you will need this to configure the SDK in Metro Publisher
- Open a new tab for Metro Publisher and go to the OneSignal page in 3rd Parties
- Paste in the App ID from OneSignal
- Return to the OneSignal tab. Finish the configuration by doing the Optional Test
- Click "Done"
- Configure the other browser(s)
OK! You're set it up. Now you can start playing around with push notifications!
NOTE: To date, IOS doesn't support web push notifications but it is in development. With luck, web push on iPhones will be coming soon.