NOTE: This support doc is for the old section editor (v03). If you are an existing client and have not updated your section pages to the new section editor(v04), you should consider doing so now. You don't have to update your whole site at once. Updating your sections can be done individually and at your own pace. It is highly recommend that you update your old sections so that you can make use of many new features afforded by the new Section Layouts and Sprockets.
The author sprocket has two behaviors:
- The primary behavior is to show a list of other content written by the same author(s) of the article your user is currently reading. The sprocket is able to do this by detecting the author tag of the current story and pulling other stories that have been tagged with the same author(s) from throughout your website. This requires that the content be tagged with an author.
- Because sprockets are added at the section level, this sprocket has a second behavior. When the Author Sprocket is being seen outside of a piece of content (for example, on a section page or the homepage) it will display other content throughout your website by all author tags it finds in the system.
When setting up the Author Sprocket, you have the option show content from the whole website or just the current section.
Author Sprocket Examples
- Default is to show only from the current section/subsection into which the sprocket it is placed. You also have the option to show all content from throughout the site by this same author.
Sprocket rendering when seen on the page of a specific piece of content
- Shows content tagged with the current author. If no content can be found, then the sprocket does not display.
- If current content is tagged with multiple authors, it displays a default icon and orders the authors list by publish date.
Sprocket rendering on Section, Subsection, or Homepage
- Displays the number of 'content by author' teasers set for this sprocket and orders these by Issue Date of most recently contributed piece of content
- Author Link: Shows all authors tagged within this section or from the entire site based on the selection in the edit page for this sprocket. Links to topics page for each author.
- Title, Description, Link, and Thumb: Ordered by the date of the latest piece of content by each author.
- Default Icon: For authors or groups of authors with no image available.
Watch the video below for an example of creating an author sprocket: