NOTE: This document is our original Metro Publisher announcement and community discussion for planning Location Roundups. With help from our client feedback, we specified and released this new Content type with our Metro Publisher v2.11 release in June, 2014. Please visit the following document for the current version of Location Roundup features and settings: Location Roundups.
We are currently planning several enhancements to the existing content types in Metro Publisher. One of the new content types we are introducing, which we are calling a "Roundup," will be an ordered list of locations. This will be a great way to publish things such as "The 5 Best Burgers" or a route map for something like a "Pub Crawl" or a popular tourist route in your city. We will begin by introducing only a Location Roundup. We plan to to implement other types, like Event and Content Roundups, in the future. But for now, we'd like to focus discussion on the Location Roundup.
We appreciate your input and are working hard to make sure that Metro Publisher continues to improve. These new features came directly from feedback and requests from you – our users.
Please read the notes below carefully and let us know what you think. Leave comments freely! Your insights are vital to our efforts.
Metro Publisher Support Squad
1. Location Roundup
The Location Roundup is similar to any other piece of content, but one to which you can attach a series of locations.
Sample Album Review
- Navigation, Sprockets, and Ads: Like any normal piece of content, Roundups may be assigned to any section/subsection. Also, they will display the sprockets and ad slots of the section/subsection to which they assigned.
- Media Carousel: Like all content, the media carousel appears at the top of the page, if used.
- Location List: List navigation allows users to jump down page to individual locations.
- Content: Content field same as any other piece of content.
- Map: Interactive map displays popup widget with business information and link to location page.
- Location List: Locations appear as an ordered list.
- Numbered Icon: Jumps user back up to map and opens location pop-up widget on map.
- Location Name: Links to location page/directory listing.
- Business Info: Address, phone, and link to website.
- Get Directions: Links directly to Google Maps direction finder.
- Description: Displays location description (by default) or override it with a new description.
- Reviews, Events, and Coupons: Displays as links if location page/directory listing has any of these three items.
- Photo: Display location thumb (by default) or override it with a new photo.
- Reserve a Table: Links to any URL or third party reservation service, such as Open Table.
2. Location Roundup – Route Version
An additional option will be to display the locations on a map in the form of a route one would follow from the first location to the last. This could be used to create a tour guide of interesting locations, for example.
Location Roundup with route displayed on map
- Route Map: Location markers display connected route information.
- Get Directions: Users will be able to click the "Get Directions" button to expose directions from each location to next location on the list. (See sample below)
- User will have option to select driving, walking, or cycling directions.
- On a mobile device, user's current location may be used.
- Users will go to Google Maps to modify the specific route.
Route Version with Directions Displayed
Location Roundup with directions